Monday, May 23, 2011

OLE PICASSO

A touring Picasso exhibit that will only be held in 3 cities in the USA recently came to Richmond. Since I hadn't seen a large collection of his work I had to go. I went with high expectations and overall they were met. But I found myself realizing he was also a master of marketing. Building an interest in your work can be a bigger task than creating it. That said, I found myself drawn to the simplicity of the bull's head made from bike parts. According to the story, it was by chance that he had the parts and discovered them resting in a way that gave him the idea. It was a similar situation for Ole Picasso. When I got home I was feeling inspired to work on the lamps when I noticed this saddle and bars in a pile of parts waiting to be reused.











Both the saddle and bars have come from the gold Lambert pictured in an older post. The leather was burned into and then painted. The lettering on the bars are etched in and then also filled with paint. There is an inline switch for the lights and also a touch sensor. You can touch anywhere on the bars, eyes, or under the chin to control the lighting. If you would like to buy this or have one custom made contact bunnybikeco@gmail.com
I hope he would approve of the added features, and I am grateful for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment